Friday, June 22, 2012

Task 4: Fishbowl Marathon

Whew! What a long fun day of flying. The task committee devised a deceptively simple course featuring multiple laps between turn points around the Applegate valley, with goal at Longsword Vineyard. It was deceptively simple because the turn points and goal were all nearby, in plain sight from launch, but the mental stamina required to bounce around that many times would be the real test.

Many pilots sank out along the course, and I almost joined them a few times. At a certain point I pulled ahead of most if not all of the field, like on the previous day, except this time I did it on purpose! James has been counseling me to get in touch with my inner race leader, and I visualized myself in pole position as I crossed the valley to tackle the toughest turn point, a small 400m cylinder centered on Rabies Peak.

It's always a tough approach for me because you're coming at it from the lee, because of the overall westerly airflow. I got super low along the ridge leading up to the peak, kicking trees, and had to retreat back to the valley to get another thermal and climb up to try again. Which I did, but with similar results. So I retreated again, but this time I met some pilots out towards the valley and we were able to climb into the convergence together.

Now I was definitely high enough to cruise right over the peak. But those three tries had cost me almost an hour. So much for my pole position! I cruised back to the turn point at launch, tanked up a bit, though I surely didn't need to, then headed for goal. Turns out I came in seventh, just like the day before. Lucky Seven! But this day wasn't worth as many points because not many pilots ended up making goal, maybe 20. Still, I think this days flight eclipsed the previous one in terms of effort and challenge and also results. Possibly my best competition flight ever!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.